Monday, April 21, 2008

One more think to think about...

So last week, the Friday we left for Thief River Falls, I took Benjamin to the allergist for more testing (our allergist tests yearly). I also had other concerns about his breathing. Well, turns out he was diagnosed with asthma (really not a surprise to me), still has the egg allergy (no surprise) and is allergic to PEANUTS (big surprise). We'd kept him away from peanuts and nuts over the last year on the recommendation of our allergist due to the egg allergy. Good thing! So now we tote around an EpiPen and I am in the process of putting together a "pack" with the Epi, Benadryl (or something similar), his emergency plan and contact list. We have to get into the habit of taking the pack everywhere. Basically they told us "if you don't have the Epi with you, he doesn't eat!" So once again, I am scouring labels-we had been allowing him things that "may contain" or "processed on equipment that processes peanuts/nuts" - but we are not longer able to do that. Our nurse educator told us that was kind of like playing "russian roulette". Not gonna do that! We also got some new medications for his asthma. On the upside, his skin looked great at the appointment...today is another story!

2 comments:

esther said...

oh man?!?! what a bummer. sorry that your little guy's got allergies. seems like this is getting more common these days...

PamJ said...

good thing you found the peanut allergy sooner than later!