Thursday, December 17, 2009

Quick Update...

I can hardly update my blog as I just love the pics that pop up on my last post...alas, I will post today.

Mattea update - we were given a cancellation appointment at the allergist on Wednesday. We spend almost 5 hours there doing a wheat challenge (starting with a tiny amount of wheat product, increasing every 15 minutes). SHE PASSED!! WE HAVE WHEAT! That is SO huge...I can make pizza dough, buns, muffins, etc with wheat flour. She can eat REGULAR CHEERIOS, SHREDDIES, PRETZELS!!!! I still have to work on the margarine issue for baking as our margarine has soy in it, but I can work with that. The plan is to do some patch testing (rice, barley, soy and dairy) the first week of January with a potential for another food challenge later that month. I'm hoping that we will get to try for soy as that is what I bake with and would make life easier yet. However, we will wait and see what the patch tests say and go from there.

Owen update - we thought that Owen had developed a mango allergy as he became extremely itchy and rashy (to the point of screaming in pain) within minutes of drinking some mango juice. Surprisingly, he is not allergic to it. For once, one of his tests was negative. What that reaction was, we may never know. The testing for the mango was terrible...for all involved. Owen is very intense and makes a huge deal of it, when after he says it is not so bad. I'm glad that we did not come home with another allergen for Owen.

Benjamin update - Benjamin had a reaction on Grey Cup Sunday (at the party, of course). He developed hives around his mouth and told me that his tummy hurt like he was going to throw up. I plunked him down with Ernie while I hunted through our friend's home to find his Epi (he has a bad habit of taking it off and leaving it - at home, not the biggest deal since I have extras). We found it - in the closet - just like he said (he just didn't say which closet). He had eaten safe chips, safe bread, pineapple, strawberries and kiwi. My bet was on the strawberries (which I learned very rarely cause a true allergic reaction. Strawberries contain histamine which can cause contact hives if you are sensitive). The allergist's bet was on kiwi...he was right. He thought it might just be Oral Allery Syndrome ( not as severe as a "regular" food allergy) which can be linked to pollen allergies. However, he tested positive to both the Kiwi extract and fresh Kiwi, so it is a systemic allergy, similar to ones like dairy, egg etc. Severe, yes. Life altering...not so much. Kiwi should be pretty easy to avoid. We'll have to watch for juices, gums, fruit candies etc, but not the worst allergy to have. I just wish MedicAlert would let us put "multiple food allergies" on his bracelet.

Caleb update - no allergies!!! Woohoo!! But he gets the short end of the deal...not getting to eat ice cream, chocolate, or other things that we generally don't have in the house (or at least eat when the kids are up).

Kim update - splitting headache after sitting in the allergist's office for 2 days. Nothing a Coke shouldn't fix. Oh, and my job was made permanent last week and I got it! That is a huge relief.

Ernie update - hmmm...he's good. Busy at work with new staff, less busy at home because there is no volleyball. Busy with kid's concerts, which are very cute!

All in all, we're doing well. Enjoy the day.

3 comments:

nicole said...

YAY!! So glad you now have wheat! Hopefully you get soy too!

Go have that coke! ;)

Anonymous said...

great update! Leaving today for Canada...maybe we will see you!
sandie

Ramona said...

Yeah for new foods for M! I hope soy can work out to make it even "easier".
You must get tired from going back and forth to specialists. But I'm just glad you are finding things to help your children and ways to cook so they are safe.
Enjoy your Christmas- a card will be coming once our family is together in the New Year...
Ramona