Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Wet Wrap Therapy...AMAZING!

So, last week after watching my son scratch all the skin off from around his ankles, I finally decided to take him to the allergist. his eczema had been out of control for some time, but I just kept thinking it would get better..if only we gave it more time. Well, time was obviously not on our side. I called the allergist at 1 in the afternoon, and they got us in at 3:30 that same day (I think they know us so well that they know I only call when things are BAD).

So he looks at Owen's skin, sighs (yep - we've seen this before on this boy) and we start our new regime...wet wraps! I've read about them over the last few years (apparently our allergist's nurse went to a conference at Jewish National where this is a big thing) and now our allergist was recommending them (the idea is that the moistness obviously hydrates the skin, but with the occlusion of the dressing increases the absorption of the meds and creams making the skin heal faster). Our night looks like this...bath for 10-15 mintues (sometimes this is the part we skip - we usually do this every other night), steroid ointment (currently using betamethazone - we're rotating right now, haven't used this one in a long time), glaxal/vaseline cream mix, wet sock that come up to his groin on his legs and armpits on his arms (who knew men's tube socks would be so hard to find), dry socks of the same length, then jammies (well, he's chosen to be further mummified in towels wrapped around him. He doesn't like getting his jammies wet). Then a dose of Singulair (5mg) and 2 tsp of Hydroxyzine...then off to bed. Whew!

I've watched him sleep after we've done this and there is FAR less scratching and restlessness. Today, before I put his cream on, I ran my hands over his legs and they were SOOOOOOO smooth...almost like a baby's bottom. I can't remember when his skin has felt this smooth...honestly, I don't know if it ever has been. His ankles, well the rawness is gone and there are only faint areas of red...no scabs, scratches or open spots. Incredible. Really incredible. It almost makes me weep with gladness for him.

All this is really great, except that once again it is a fight to go through this routine on a daily basis. The reward of a piece of gum in the morning works wonders, but it is still a struggle. I'm hoping only 3 more days and then we can stop. Then as soon as I see his skin getting worse, we'll start again. But maybe this will give it a nice chance to heal and we can maintain it for a long time. It breaks my heart to see him so very uncomfortable, and I do think that it affects his behaviour (perhaps the meds do to). For now, we go with it and applaud the Wet Wrap!!

2 comments:

nicole said...

Praise the Lord!!! I am SO happy you found something that is working!!!

Rose said...

I feel for Owen - i had eczema as a kid but never needed that much intervention. and the itching...i can imagine why that would make him cranky...