Thursday, November 12, 2009

Surgery Success

Benjamin's surgery is complete and the doctor was very pleased with how it went. he told us that he was able to remove all of the cyst without having to do anything to the ear bones. Time will still tell whether there is any resulting hearing loss, but things look good for now. Benjamin did fantastic...all the nurses were so impressed. he loved driving the Hummer to the OR...I don't think the walls or the cart enjoyed the bashing they got, but he had fun.

Playing video games while waiting...


More fun while waiting...he did great despite being hungry!


The Hummer...


Post Op Recovery...


A Wheelchair ride to the front door...he was a little woozy!


The big white ear protector is on until tomorrow and then only for night. He has to otherwise have a cottonball in his ear all the time, and we can't get it wet for 4 weeks (have not quite figured out yet how to wash his hair...any tips? We'll have a follow up with the surgeon in 4 weeks, likely some hearing tests and possibly another CT scan in 4-6 months.

The other kids were very kind to Benjamin this evening, hopefully that will last. He's also supposed to do "quiet activities" for 2 weeks...hmmm we'll see how that goes. Owen was VERY concerned and has been keeping us updated on his status while they are going to bed.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers...it is much appreciated. And, a special thanks to Brad who showed up with some needed Cokes for us as we waited during the surgery. Thanks for helping us pass the time...you are a good friend!

Thanks again for all the prayers, thoughts and phone calls.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went well. The close up of him in the wheel chair after surgery - looks like Caleb:) We'll continue to pray.

Jane

Anonymous said...

I guess the picture is not in a wheel chair but a bed????

Jane

Rose said...

He is SO cute! I was praying for the surgery and am thankful it went so well!

nicole said...

Thankful things went well! So glad you had some company while waiting :)

sam said...

Very pleased that the surgery went well and that he is doing fine :). As for the washing of the hair and not getting his ear wet you could use a dry shampoo ( you maybe able to find it at shoppers) or simply put some plastic wrap and an elastic band around his ear and wash his hair in the sink hope I have helped. talk to you soon.

Sam

Anonymous said...

so glad the surgery went well. So cute the Hummer driving into the OR. I was going to write a similar comment about covering the ear with plastic to wash hair. Just let the water run on the good side first, get him to turn his head a bit so the water doesn't directly hit the ear that's covered, If you know what I mean. (I hope I explained it ok...I just got up and havne't had my coffee yet)
Erica

Anonymous said...

excellent! I'll praying for his recovery and for patience for you and the boys.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went so well - he's a trooper! And I can imagine Owen's concern - a very loyal brother! See you soon.
Heather

Ramona said...

I'm glad it went well. Will continue to pray for healing. All the best with washing his hair and keeping it dry- easier said then done - we know this from with T's ears...

That hummer is the coolest idea!

Ramona