Saturday, June 6, 2009

Random things...

We purchased a new camera last week and it has a few neat features (that we have so far figured out). Here are a few pictures that Ernie took...





Last nigth, Benjamin had a reaction to something...we think it was the sesame in the hummus that he tasted. He started by saying he didn't like it and spit it out (so he didn't really get much), then started saying his tongue hurt (that was my first clue that something was going on). Then it looked like his cheeks were swelling a bit and he got hives all around his mouth and up to his eye and started to say his stomach hurt - all within a few minutes of ingesting the hummus. We probably should have Epi'd him given that it affected a few systems, but we tried the antihistamine first. It took quite a while to work, so if there is a next time, I'd just give the Epi. I'll call the allergist on Monday and request testing for sesame. I've read that sesame is one of the top allergens in Israel as it is used in lots of foods there. In Israel it is the 2nd highest food known to cause anaphylaxis (behind cow's milk). It is becoming more prevalent in North America as well as we put it into more and more foods. Great! One more thing we will likely have to avoid (which really sucks as the "safe" bread we currently can get has a sesame warning - guess I really might be making all our bread soon!).

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

nicole said...

love the photos kim! What setting do you use to just have some color??

Kim said...

Nicole
There is some setting that Ernie figured out how to use (in the scene setting section). It's pretty easy to do, even I can do it...that first pic of Mattea is one that I took! It is kind of cool, don't ya think?

Ramona said...

What kind of a camera did you get?

You guys certainly have too many adventures with allergies and reactions and so on!!

Ramona

Kim said...

We bought a Canon SX10 IS - it is an ultra zoom...not a dslr, but it has lots of neat features and for our purposes should be fine. So far so good!

nicole said...

LOVE that setting...next time I see you, can I look at that setting?? I'm not sure if my camera has it or not....