That's what Owen said after I popped him with the Epi on Thursday after school.
So, on Thursday after school I made the boys popcorn with White Cheddar flavouring...he got hives, runny nose, itchy eyes, raspy voice and his lips had some mild swelling. After having 2 serious reactions (where I should have used the Epi) I decided that I could not risk his life and gave it to him. He freaked when I told him I was going to use it, but then was able to calm down and lie on the floor while I poked him...he did not flinch, scream, cry or move. And after, he just asked for a band-aid! he did awesome. I think I handled it alright. Caleb called 911 while I was giving the Epi...we had previously reviewed our address, and what his job was (either bring me the phone or call 911) should I have to give the epi. he did amazing.
By the time the paramedics arrived, the hives were going down, lips were better and his voice was improving (the Epi, obviously working), but still raspy. he enjoyed the ambulance ride! We spent 5 hours in emerg and then went home. He later told Benjamin not to worry if he needed the EPi, cause it doesn't hurt! The ER doc was great and praised me for using the EPI. Our allergist nurse also said that too. She also said parents need more praise when they do use the Epi. Hopefully we'll get in on teh 29th...for now with the allergy nurse we have decided to pull all dairy and see how it goes. I will keep a record of all reactions...no matter how mild.
So there is my update...a bit scary, but I'm not as traumatized as I thought I would be. Whew, one under my belt and hopefully no more!
It's kind of funny cause I had just been thinking before that for me I did not think it would be "if" the opportunity arose but "when" the opportunity would come to use the Epi. Hoping we can figure it all out. Kind of stressed now with feeding him...it all feels so out of control.
Thanks to my neighbor's mom (I called her as she got out of her car after I gave Owen the Epi), my dad, and my friend Robyn...thanks for all your help with the kids. The paramedics and hospital staff were great too!
And the biggest thanks to a merciful God for keeping Owen safe!
2 comments:
Way to go Kim! That must have been difficult and scary. Glad to hear Owen is okay. Do all 4 have serious allergies?
Wow, Kim that must have been scary. So glad Owen is ok.
Erica
Post a Comment