So, today, I take all the kids (and my mom for help) to the mall for the boys to get haircuts. No big deal. Owen has a bit of rash on his neck before starting, but nothing I'm worried about. Well, the hairdresser starts to cut his hair, and as the hair falls onto his face he starts to get a bit itchy. Understandable. Then he tries to wipe his face (hands under the cape) so the cape touches his forehead. I tell him that I will wipe the hair off his face and grab a small towel to do it. I dust off his face a few times and he tells me he is still itchy. I think it is just the hair. Well, a few minutes later (not many), the hairdresser looks to me and says "do you think he's having an allergic reaction?" I look over and his neck and forehead are COVERED in hives. His whole forehead is almost white from the hives. The hairdresser who is cutting Benjamin's hair beside Owen says - "do you need Benadryl? I have some, and I also have an epi pen" (she has peanut allergies and we had talked about allergies the last time we had been there) Her Benadryl was adult strength. My antihistamine is in the diaper bag, which I left in the van. Just then my mom returns, and I boot it over to London Drugs to get some Benadryl. When I get back, his hives are still there and he is shaking, saying he is cold. A few minutes after the Benadryl, the hives start receding and he tells me that he was scared...he didn't want to have his EpiPen. Poor little guy! I hate that this is his reality! So instead of going to WalMart to do the rest of our shopping, we just headed home which is good since the Benadryl was starting to make him tired.
I have to admit, I am tired of being an allergy mom. I know there are much worse things out there, and other children (and parents) have it much harder than I. But, honestly...can I not even take my son for a haircut now without worrying that he might have an allergic reaction? I'd love to be able to walk down the aisle of a grocery store and not have to stop and read every label on every item (do you know how much time that takes?). I'd love to be able to buy my kids ice cream for a treat. I'd love to be able to eat at a restaurant and order straight off the menu and not have to think about "what if?" the whole time. I'd love to be able to feel comfortable with having others cook for my kids. Yes, there are a very few people that I trust enough to cook/bake for my kids. Even when they do, I double check things all the time...just in case (thankfully I do as there have been times where I have caught other's errors that could have turned out badly). I'd like to be able to pull out a pizza from the freezer (or just pick it up on the way home from work) and pop it in the oven for dinner.
OK...vent over. Thanks for reading. This too shall pass!
3 comments:
Oh Kim, I really feel for you. I know that my corn allergy is not life threatening but I do know the whole going threw the isles at that the stores looking to make sure that there is no corn in products, or the restaurant thing, or even the hair care products and moisturizers.
I remember the day that you were talking about having a breakfast sandwich from Tim Hortons and the glimmer in your eyes when you described how good it was and that you were able to eat it because the kids weren't around.
You are a special person and God gave you these kids with allergies because he knew that you could handle them. Your such a great mom!
Thank you for your words of encouragement Sam...I needed that from a friend today. You brought tears to my eyes. Thanks again!
Kim - i truly can not imagine what it is like living with so many allergies in your family. I think you do it so well even though it is so hard. We have had some allergy stuff to contend with in our kids but nothing like what you have to do everyday. I reallyhope they outgrow some of their worst allergies!
Post a Comment