Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Benjamin's Ears...
So today, I took Benjamin to the Ear/Nose/Throat specialist (ENT) because he's been complaining of a sore throat since January. The pediatrician told us his tonsils were enlarged, but not infected and didn't know why he' having throat pain. The ENT looked into his throat...yep, enlarged tonsils, but fine. Nose - normal. Adenoids - x-ray was normal. Ears...he actually has a cyst growing behind his eardrum. Because he's not had recurrent or chronic ear infections, she thinks the cyst has slowly been growing since birth. These types of cysts can cause hearing loss and permanent damage if not taken out. That means he will have to have ear surgery in the near future. He will first have a CT scan (for which they will need to mildly sedate him due to his young age), then meet with another pediatric ENT who will do the surgery. She did ask if he'd ever had his hearing tested...which he has not, but he is on the waitlist. I don't have any clue as to how quickly/slowly the CT and surgery will happen, but she made it sound like it would happen quite quickly. She was a great doc, explaining things to me and not making me all freaked out! So far so good. So that will be our next round of appointments! She also said he'd be closely followed as there is a chance that the cysts can re-occur over time! If you think of it, please pray for him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'll be praying Kim! Hope you are able to have peace through your worrying!
Love,
Nicole
I'll be praying too, Kim. I know any surgery is stressful.
Erica
Oh Kim. Not another thing... I'll be praying for peace for you and for him. And, that the cyst doesn't grow back nor affect his hearing!
Ramona
Post a Comment